Re: help

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:30:07AM -0700, barsi wrote:
> hello, I am a graduate student in molecular biology and I AM SICK OF MS
> WINDOWS! I am installing your debian Linux os on my IBM 600x laptop, but I
> still need a couple statistical packages currently only available for MS
> windows, my question is:
>
> Q: Can I have Debian/Linux OS installed on my computer while also having MS
> Windows OS installed (god knows I don't want to, but I need it for now). I
> was thinking along the lines of a partitioned disk, where each OS would be
> on it's own disk...? but how would I solve the booting-up situation, can I
> suppress windows and open it on command when needed?
>
> thanks allot, and I truly appreciate your help, It's kind of hard for us
> main-folk to escape the likes of MS Windows truly Shit OS.

Yes you can dual boot.  Both OS's will fit on one disk or you can
install each OS on it's own drive.  You can use 'lilo' or 'grub' (boot
loaders) to boot between the two.

You may also want to look into 'vmware' which sets up a virtual system
and allows you to run two operating systems at once.  Another
virtual manager is win4lin.  You may want to check on 'wine' also which
may or may not allow you to run your MS program on linux.

If you wish to install both OS's on one drive you need to partition the
drive.  Install Windows.  Then install Debian.  It would be a very good
idea to read through the installation instructions at the Debian web
site.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted