Re: Emacs sends mail, but doesn't show-up in exim.

I'm still seeing a problem.  Have eliminated Emacs, by sending test
messages with:
  $ echo "TEST" | mail userid@domain

This time I've noticed that an email message will appear in mailq
output immediately after using mail, AND some messages just disappear
for some reason.

Here's a test script:
  #!/bin/bash

  SH="/root/foo.sh"
  RPT="/tmp/foo.rpt"
  rm -f $RPT

  whoami >> $RPT
  echo "mailq:" >> $RPT
  mailq >> $RPT
  echo "Sending 1st test message..." >> $RPT
  echo "TEST" | mail sam.michalowski@juno.com
  echo "mailq:" >> $RPT
  mailq >> $RPT
  echo "Sending 2nd test message..." >> $RPT
  echo "TEST" | mail Hot49erfan@aol.com
  echo "mailq:" >> $RPT
  mailq >> $RPT
  echo "Sending 3rd test message..." >> $RPT
  echo "TEST" | mail sam.michalowski@juno.com
  echo "mailq:" >> $RPT
  mailq >> $RPT

  echo "* * *" >> $RPT
  ###
  #

Here is the report:
  root
  mailq:
  Sending 1st test message...
  mailq:
  Sending 2nd test message...
  mailq:
   0m   306 14wpsP-0003Au-00 <root@debian>
            sam.michalowski@juno.com

  Sending 3rd test message...
  mailq:
   0m   306 14wpsP-0003Au-00 <root@debian>
            sam.michalowski@juno.com

   0m   294 14wpsP-0003Ay-00 <root@debian>
            Hot49erfan@aol.com

  * * *

The report file contains messages 1 and 2 (because I didn't use sleep,
message 3 did not get into queue before final mailq).  The odd thing
is that when I do mailq manually, only messages 1 and 3 are reported
as being in the queue!

Where did message 2 disappear to?

Just to make sure, I repeated the experiment:
 - remove all existing messages with "mail -Mrm"
 - re-execute test script that sends two messages
   to sam, one message to Hot49erfan.
 - mailq

Yup.  There's two messages in mailq, both to sam. Where did the other
one go after it got into exim's queue?

This is what's under /var/spool/exim:
  /var/spool/exim/:
  total 12
  drwxr-x---    2 mail     mail         4096 Apr  8 17:03 db
  drwxr-x---    2 mail     mail         4096 May  7 11:38 input
  drwxr-x---    2 mail     mail         4096 May  7 11:38 msglog

  /var/spool/exim/db:
  total 24
  -rw-r-----    1 mail     mail        16384 May  7 11:36 retry
  -rw-r-----    1 mail     mail            0 Apr  8 17:02 retry.lockfile
  -rw-r-----    1 mail     mail        16384 May  6 14:27 wait-remote_smtp
  -rw-r-----    1 mail     mail            0 Apr  8 17:03 wait-remote_smtp.lockfile

  /var/spool/exim/input:
  total 0

  /var/spool/exim/msglog:
  total 0

Reading the man page, it says that per-message log files are
generated, and that per-message log files are deleted after message is
sent.  I've seen such messages before.  Is there a log of messages
that have been successfully sent, or a place that tracks what is
happening to the Hot49erfan message after it is in exim's queue?

The problem doesn't seem to follow particular email addresses.  The
other day, email to sam was disappearing.  Today email to sam stays in
queue (waiting for PPP).  Today email to Hot49erfan is disappearing
(reproducibly, at that).

Thing is: I'm driving to N.Y. and will be on the road for a few days.
But I wanted to post more information before leaving.  Thanks again!

* * *