Re: mouse wheel scrolling

Hi Mitul,

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 04:58:51PM -0500, lin_newbie@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I am trying to get my USB MS Intellimouse to scroll in Linux.
> have downloaded and installed imwheel 0.9.9. My Pointer section  in the
> XF86Config-4 is as follows.

If you are running XF4.0x you do not need imwheel. Actually, even in
XF863.3.6 you do not need imwheel if you run KDE or gnome. They
support it out of the box.

I have Microsoft Intellimouse with intellieye USB. Here is what you
can do to set it up:

First of all you have to make sure that you have the USB support
compiled in the kernel (at least as a module - this is usbmouse
module). If you do not remember setting it up explicitly, you
probably do not have it. But if you have you just replace /dev/psaux
with /dev/usbmouse below in the device section. Your other  option
is then not using the USB connector, but the ps2 port (and use that
hardware which converts the USB to a ps2 jack - included with the M$
mouse). Then you device is /dev/psaux.

Then set up you XF86Conf file as follows:

   Section "Pointer"
     Protocol        "IMPS/2"
     Device          "/dev/psaux"
     BaudRate        1200
     Emulate3Timeout 50
     Resolution      100
     ZAxisMapping 4 5
     Buttons      3
  EndSection

The above is my Debian file (XF3.3.6)

Below is my Mandrake file (XF4.0.3)

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

>  I have tried stopping gpm and then running X with imwheel, the device
> in that case was /dev/psaux. With this setting the mouse keeps flying
> around the screen.

Gpm was a problem for me too. The mouse danced all over the place. I
got rid of it, because I always use an xterm for console stuff, so I
do not need it at all. I suggest you to open dselect, search for
gpm, and remove it completely. (let me know I you do not know how to
do it).

Then set up your XF86Conf file as above (probably like my Mandrake
file)  and at least for KDE and Gnome you mouse will work, scroll,
and the middle button will work too, you can paste stuff with it.

Hope this helps... -- Viktor