mouse wheel scrolling

Hi all,
      I am trying to get my USB MS Intellimouse to scroll in Linux.
have downloaded and installed imwheel 0.9.9. My Pointer section  in the
XF86Config-4 is as follows.

 Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 EndSection

 The mouse seems to work fine for the two basic buttons, but i can not
get the scroll or the two additional buttons to work.

 I have tried stopping gpm and then running X with imwheel, the device
in that case was /dev/psaux. With this setting the mouse keeps flying
around the screen.

I also tried changing the protocol to IMPS/2 as suggested in some
articles for the USB mice. That too made the mouse fly around.

Can someone point me in the right direction, as to what i
 am doing wrong in the X settings and the program(s) to run.

TIA
Mitul