Re: a printer for Linux

on Sun, May 06, 2001 at 06:21:16PM -0700, Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com) wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 08:13:41PM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
> > Ron Farrer <rbf@farrer.net> writes:
> >
> > > Yes, and when I was buying I wanted color. My ink-jet printer does
> > > 12PPM black/10PPM color and supports 1440 x 720 DPI.
> >
> > Does it do those speeds at the highest res?  What printer is it?
> >
> Of course not.
>
> I've only seen inkjets print at their posted rates on text in draft mode.

This is yet another very strong advantage of laser printers.  Draft mode
(straight text, built-in fonts) is max speed.  Rendered postscript is
generally *pretty* fast.  It's only on very complex documents that they
bog down.  I used to print graphics with something on the order of
100k - 500k elements on them.  Rendering these would bog.  I discovered that
printing the resulting graphics file (e.g.:  GIF) or even a bitmap, was
far faster.