Re: Postfix or Exim?

On Sun, 06 May 2001, mdevin wrote:
> up.  However, I had trouble getting it to work because it complained
> that port 25 was already taken:

That is your fault (or some other package's). Not postfix's.

> I think this was due to inetd binding this port for some reason.  I had
> upgraded from Exim and it was gone and there was no other smtp daemon
> running.  I didn't try telnetting into port 25 but I did comment out the
> smtp part in inetd.conf and it still wouldn't run.  I also checked with

/etc/init.d/inet reload  ?

> So my question is, should I bother with postfix?  Is it easier to
> customise, edit headers etc?  Is it more robust?  What are some of the

Well, postfix is *very* secure and very very fast. It's not the easiest one
to do rewriting ("edit headers") though, if you want to do something weird.

It's easy to configure if you read the docs (especially the FAQ). Typical
configuration files for email hubs have 10-13 lines (excluding the
comments) I think.

  Henrique Holschuh