Re: Page-up/Page-down keys and shell history

* Lindsay Allen (allen@cbcfreo.wa.edu.au) [010506 08:53]:
>On Sat, 5 May 2001, Joost van der Lugt wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been looking into this for a litle bit and am unable to find an
>> answer. This is a feature AFAIK only implemented by SuSE:
>>
>> At a prompt type one or more characters then use Page Up/Page Down
>> to scroll through all commands that started with these characters.
>> So typing:
>>
>> cd
>>
>> would then give a 'scrollable' list of anything that started with cd
>> simply hit enter when you reach the command you were looking for.
>>
>> I know Ctrl-r and am familiar with ! but they are not as nice, and
>> really not the same.
>> Would anybody have a clue as to how this could be implemented?
>>
>> I don't think it is shell dependent, so I don't think it's a bash
>> option but I could very well be wrong.
>> (Tried the dotfile generator, but don't see anything there)
>>
>> The option is _really_ addictive therefor my post:)
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Joost van der Lugt
>>

>> --
>>

>Try this in your .~/inputrc :-
># set show-all-if-ambiguous	On
>"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
>"\e[3~": delete-char
>"\e[4~": end-of-line
>
># Invoke these to implement 4DOS style command search using Home and End keys
>"\e[B": history-search-forward
>"\e[A": history-search-backward
>

>This worked flawlessly in potato, but is messy in sid.  No, I don't know
>why, but I would like any hints on how to fix it.

Mmm, tried this, does not work directly, but it does give me a point
to start looking from, I will be reading some info about libreadline,
see what that brings up. thanks for the hint. I will post it if I find
something.

--
Cheers,

Joost van der Lugt