Re: Getting realplayer streams to disk files

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Better to advocate open alternative streaming technologies.

I agree completely.

> MP3 is one such.

Sorry, I do not agree. As long as there are patents controlling MP3, MP3 is not sufficiently open.

The current best one is Ogg Vorbis.

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html

A streaming technology based on Ogg Vorbis exists; it is called Icecast.

http://i.cantcode.com/~jack/icecast.html

I'm just amazed that it is so important to block us from caching postage-stamp sized movie commercials, and 10-second snips of music. What I hate is that with RealPlayer, I have seen "net congestion" errors even the *second* time I play a clip! Can't they cache the whole thing in a temp file or something? I've got the disk space.

Oh, well.