Re: Trouble with postfix

I have gotten it to work.  It was something to do with my main.cf which I had
edited.  I still can't figure out why it was giving such an error message
about unable to bind to port 25 when it clearly wasn't in use.  I have
attached the portion of the main.cf which I added:
----------------snip--------------------------------------
# How much time befor daemon assumes request is wedged and commits suicide
daemon_timeout = 18000

default_database_type = hash

# Default network interface addresses that mail will be received on
# really it should only be coming on localhost (127.0.0.1) by fetchmail
# but local delivery will use $myhostname?
inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost

ipc_idle = 100
ipc_timeout = 3600
# mail_name is written in Received headers
#mail_name = Postfix

myhostname = beast.home.net
mydomain = home.net
myorigin = $mydomain

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

# Address Rewriting
# Rewrite "user" to "user@$myorigin"
append_at_myorigin = yes

# Do not rewrite "user@host" to "user@host.$mydomain"
#append_dot_mydomain

recipient_delimiter = +

# Addresses of form user@host.$mydomain get rewritten to user@$mydomain
masquerade_domains = $mydomain

# The qualified domains that the system treats as itself
mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain $mydomain

# Alias maps for system aliases (eg postmaster: root etc.)
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

# Maps for local user addresses to fix up the envelope and header sender
fields
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical

# Since this is a dialup connection to the internet
relay_host = mail-hub.vic.bigpond.net.au
defer_transports = smtp
disable_dns_lookups = yes
----------------------snip----------------------------

What I did was to delete main.cf and reinstall so that the debian scripts
created a default one for me.  Then it worked!  So it must have been
something with the above.

I have 2 further questions for you if you don't mind answering newbie
questions.  I have done some reading as can be seen from my attempts to
configure it above.

Question 1.

Basically what I was trying to do was stop all leaking of local usernames
from my system when I send emails.  Consider the following:
Dialup account with ISP - ADSL
Dynamic IP address
local user: algemon
realname: mdevin
real email address: mdevin@ozemail.com.au

Now if I post mail using Netscape, I can configure the preferences to change
my username - so this is OK.
If I use mutt, I can set my realname also - so this is OK.

But if I use mailx like:
cat file.txt | mailx -s "Subject" mdevin@ozemail.com.au
Then I get headers showing username algemon like this:
From: algemon@beast.home.net (algemon)

Even if I setup sender_canonical_maps like I tried in above main.cf it still
seems to look like:
From: mdevin@ozemail.com.au (algemon)
Basically, I don't want algemon showing up there at all.

Question 2.

I noticed in the headers that when postfix sends the mail to my relayhost I
see received headers like:
                 with ESMTP id
<20010506025914.XLET28671.mta01.mail.mel.aone.net.au@beast.home.net>
                 for <mdevin@ozemail.com.au>; Sun, 6 May 2001 12:59:14 +1000
How do I stop postfix from sending the hostname: beast.home.net?  It doesn't
exist, I just made it up and I don't want it going out of my system.

If you can answer those 2 questions I will be very appreciative.

Regards.

Mark.