Re: Warning: binary attachment

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> !!!  Warning  !!!
>
> This "a" <softguy@citiz.net> person send a binary to Debian ML using
> MS-outlook as client-ware with my name in CC.
>
> I am nothing to do with his e-mail. :-) I actually complained to him for
> his previous binary posting by private mail!
>
> I do recommend not to run the binary in his tar-ball since he does not
> even have Makefile.  Guess what.  His domain has no web page and IP he
> uses to send mail has no reverse DNS record. Most IP looks unreachable.
>
> This guy is at least annoying but maybe malicious, IMHO.

Annoying to be sure.

The top of xtar1.c says:

   xtar
   by softguy@citiz.net

   i use these commands to compile

   gcc -c msgbox.c
   gcc -c fdbox.c
   gcc xtar1.c -lXaw -L/usr/X11R6/lib msgbox.o fdbox.o

It does compile (that doesn't mean that the pre-compiled one
matches that source code!) and looks as crappy as you'd expect
from a vanilla X application.

Note the `about help' says:

                       xtar
               by softguy@citiz.net
  This is begware or shareware. If you enjoy it,
  you should pay the author $20. For my address,
  please send me an email.

Peter