Re: motherboard suggestions

On Fri, May 04, 2001, freedman@ccmr.cornell.edu wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2001, Gregory T. Norris wrote:
> > I need to replace a dual PIII-600MHz motherboard, which apparently got
> > fried.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for a good, Linux friendly one.
> > Preferably something which can make use of ECC memory, which the dead
> > one (i840 chipset) couldn't.
> >
> > It's not yet clear if either CPU survived, so feel free to suggest
> > boards which might not support the old processors.
> >
> > Thanx!
>
> Hi,
>
> Depending upon how much you're looking to spend, you might want to
> look into a Supermicro board with a Serverworks chipset.  A little on
> the pricey side (~$500+), but that might be worth it for you.  I'm
> personally waiting (still...) for the dual Athlons to come out
> (promises, promises) which should give super bang for the buck
> (depending upon final unknown cost of dual motherboard) with PC2100
> memory ($115/256Mb from Crucial).

Answering my own post (or at least adding to it).  Just after posting,
I read on theregister
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/18750.html) that AMD will
supposedly be introducing the chipsets on this May 15 to support dual
Athlons.  The implication is that they will ship soon after.  Who
knows, though.  You should judge for yourself, I just thought you
might want to know.

Take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics