Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences? - diodes

hi ya...

though we are getting slightly off topic...
	- dual power supply issues...

the problem is how to connect two power supplies together...
one at 5.25v  and the other at extreme of 4.75v

if using just a diode...( no matter what kind - power or schottky )... it
wont work as one diode will have a bigger voltage drop across it than its
normal .1v or .7v or whatever it might be...

voltage drop is NOT the issue.... you need something that will
allow a range of Vce  or Vsd  that will pass the normal current
and also support the surge current when you first turn on the
powersupply to spin the drives...

and since diodes/resistors are not active devices...
you will incurr significant loss of regulation and huge current
spikes.... ( good way to get a disk go *poof* on ya )

dual power supply is tricky biz...guess thats why its $500 for a pair...
or more or less... not the atx/pc stuff for $25 each

have fun
alvin