SMTP Connections

Hi all,

I'm trying get a Debian box to act as a mail server.  I'm using
exim.  Presently, it receives mail, but it won't send mail, at least to
the destinations I've been using for testing.

When it tries to connect to a mail server, the connection is either
refused or just hangs and then times out.  Just to test, I also tried
using telnet to connect to port 25 of the same hosts.  Same thing: either
"telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused" or nothing.

The weird thing is: I think I had it working earlier yesterday, and since
then, I've hardly changed anything...just some rewriting and aliasing
configuration in exim.

On what basis could a mail server decide which hosts it is going to allow
to connect to it?

Thanks for your help.

--
David Steinberg