Re: Can linux do this?

Daniel de los Reyes wrote:

> I've put to work portforwarding with a 2.2 kernel and it works
> wonderfull. However I want to push it a bit farther and was wondering if
> this can be done:
>
> Using plain port forwarding what you get is calls to port Pa on host A
> get forwarded to port Pb on host B.
> Now what I need is, depending on the host name that makes demands to Pa
> on B the packages get forwarded to a different host/port
>
> I know there is specific hardware dedicated to this and lot more
> (Dispatcher) including load balance and such just wondering if I could
> get a Linux machine to do the same

i've never had luck doing this with ipchains. but if the packets are TCP
then you can use 'rinetd' to do it. i use rinetd a lot, works great. but
it does not support UDP. i wouldn't reccomend putting rinetd under
a high load, i don't know how robust it is but ive never had it go
down on me before.

rinetd is a snap to configure too.

nate

--