Re: Does apsfilter work?

> Subject: Re: Problems with printing
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:56:29 -0400
> From: Wayne Topa <wtopa@dmcom.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>

> Subject: Re: Problems with printing
> Date: Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:59:34AM -0000

> Quoting vdemart@supereva.it(vdemart@supereva.it):
> > Well, Wayne, I don't really think a Debian potato distribution fails
in a
> > strategic and basic piece of software such as apsfilter. I rather
think
> > there's something wrong in my configuration relating to
authorizations but
> > I don't know where and what to manipulate. Perhaps I missed to
define some
> > special group, or whatever else..... What strikes me is that the
test which
> > apsfilterconfig suggests works great, while any following attempt to
print
> > dies unexpectedly. Any suggestion to fix it before eliminating
apsfilter?
> > Vittorio

I just set up apsfilter last night, and I had the same problem--the test
page printed fine, and I could cat stuff directly, but everything else
failed.  It turns out that the permissions of the printer device in /dev
were set wrong-- read-only, no write for the lp group, which obviously
doesn't make much sense for a printer using lprng for spooling.

-Nelson