Re: removal catch-22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:18:40PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> I'm running Potato 2.2r1 on a P200 desktop. For some reason (honestly, I
> didn't do it consciously) irda-common-0.9.5-2 was installed, but never
> wanted to get configured (and I don't even have ir hardware installed). It
> also wouldn't let itself be removed, claiming that it needed to get
> re-installed before being able to be removed. Re-install didn't help, so I
> build a newer deb-version from testing sources. That didn't help either.
> Installed the older version again, but now things have gone really bad:
> dselect shows this package as RC**, it says it's in a very bad inconsistent
> state and should be re-installed before being removed.
> To make things worse than that, other packages can't be installed now
> either, because the configuration error of irda-common blocks their
> configuration. How to get out of this? Thanks for the help. --Hans

dpkg --force-reinstreq --purge irda-common

See dpkg(8) and dpkg --force-help for details. Be warned that this has the
potentiol to break your system. Realistically, it's probably ok for this
package, especially since you've never actually installed it properly.

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@users.sourceforge.net>