Re: removal catch-22

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 12:18:40PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> I'm running Potato 2.2r1 on a P200 desktop. For some reason (honestly, I
> didn't do it consciously) irda-common-0.9.5-2 was installed, but never
> wanted to get configured (and I don't even have ir hardware installed). It
> also wouldn't let itself be removed, claiming that it needed to get
> re-installed before being able to be removed. Re-install didn't help, so I
> build a newer deb-version from testing sources. That didn't help either.
> Installed the older version again, but now things have gone really bad:
> dselect shows this package as RC**, it says it's in a very bad inconsistent
> state and should be re-installed before being removed.
>
> To make things worse than that, other packages can't be installed now
> either, because the configuration error of irda-common blocks their
> configuration. How to get out of this? Thanks for the help. --Hans

dpkg --force-reinstreq --purge irda-common

See dpkg(8) and dpkg --force-help for details. Be warned that this has the
potentiol to break your system. Realistically, it's probably ok for this
package, especially since you've never actually installed it properly.

--
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@users.sourceforge.net>