Re: Printer Failure

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 08:59:06AM -0700, Steve Gran wrote:
> let's see - I've tried adding a form feed character at the end of foo.txt
> - still fails silently.  I added the IO address and IRQ line
> /etc/modules.conf (and just to see if it would work to /etc/modules).
> I have no file /etc/modules/parport (hmmm . . .)

? Well - you have it compiled into the kernel, which should be OK.
Personally, I prefer to have as much as possible as modules. That also
allows me to play with the IRQ's and IO's without having to reboot. When
compiled into the kernel, you can't change IRQ etc without modifying
/etc/lilo.conf...

Bug since cat ... > /dev/lp0 doesn't provoke any response from the printer,
there must be something amiss with:
a) the parport. (software as you say it worked before the kernel upgrade)
b) or the characters being sent to the printer.
c) or the printer itself. Pretty unlikely though.

You may want to change your kernel back to have it as a module, so you can
tinker.

The exact settings you use (for IRQ/IO and DMA) depends on the BIOS settings
of the port - ECP, EPP and whathaveyou. As long as they match you should
be OK.

A wild guess: You didn't change anything in the BIOS around the same time you
upgraded the kernel?

Perhaps you have another printer you can test the parport out on? Just to
eliminate any other variables here.

I don't know the HP712C printer, I can only hazard a guess at what language
it speaks. And I don't speak any printer languages anyway, so I am probably
of limited help here.

However, if you have a decent printer manual (perhaps via a web search) that
e.g. tells you how to do a form feed on the printer, you *should* be able to
put those characters into a file, and "cat somefile  > /dev/lp0". If this
provokes the desired response from the printer, then your parport must be OK
and you can attach the next (possible) problem: the filter.

> I also just looked at /var/log/lp-errs, and it says
> /etc/magicfilter/pnm2ppa-720-color-eco-filter  --  Interrupted System Call.

This is one for later. Let's get cat ... > /dev/lp0 working first. When that
works, and magicfilter still bombs out, then you can try running magicfilter
in debug-mode, outlide lprng/lpd.

> I think I have finally found something that at least realizes there is
> a problem, although when I cat directly to the printer port I should
> bypass this.  Can anyone tell me what this means?
> I have seen somewhere that the report that it is using IRQ -1 only means
> that it is not using interrupt driven printinfg, but is using polling
> instead, which is what it had been using when it worked fine.  Getting a

Yep. Using polling rather than IRQ should not be a problem. At least it
works for me.  But then again, it sounds like your parallel port isn't
set up right.

> little frustrated, although it could be worse - I don't have to print that
> often.

Have faith. Unless you hardware is broken or unsupported, it *is* possible
to get it working.

> Thanks again,
> Steve
>
> On Sun, 29 April 2001, "Karl E. Jorgensen" wrote:
>
>  The box is a Debian Woody distro running on an AMD K6-400, I
> > > use lpr to print and I have an HP 712C, which up until now ran fine.
> > > Two weeks ago, I upgraded my kernel to v2.4.2 to take advantage of the
> > > AGP port feature, and at about the same time I did a apt-get upgrade.
> > > Now my printer fails silently - no error messages, no printout.

<snip><snip>

> > > If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it.  I can't find any
> > > documentation about kernel v.2.4.2 - is this a known bug?  I admit
> > > I haven't

Should have picked up on this before: If you have the kernel sources handy,
then you should find a bit of documentation in there. I doubt whether any
of it relates to your problem though. But read it anyway - just in case.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com