Re: Home/End keys don't work in xterm

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:20:12PM +0200, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" wrote:
>
> > What is the file I'm supposed to edit to make the home and end keys work in
> > xterm?
>
> Well, this is a thing i would like to know me too, but i've seen no answer
> till now. I've looked trough the bug reports, and it's probably not a xterm
> problem, IIRC it's about termcap...

I am not an expert on this, but the problem is basically the interface
between the keystroke code that the X server sends to the program you
are using (say zsh in an xterm) and what zsh is expecting to receive.
There is more info in one of the xserver FAQs (have a look around in
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86).

Basically in my .zshrc I have something like:
case "$TERM" in
	     xterm*)
                bindkey '\e[1~' beginning-of-line       # Home
                bindkey '\e[4~' end-of-line				# End
                bindkey '\e[3~'	delete-char				# Del
				bindkey '\e[2~' overwrite-mode          # Insert
				;;
esac

so that \e[1~ home is bound to begining of line etc.

Also see Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.txt.gz

hope this gets you on the right track.
mark