Re: ReiserFS + 2.4.4

> > 3) rm -rf /usr, /lib.. etc after mounting the vfat partition which also
> > contains a copy of /sbin and /bin untarred.
>
> Hmmm... aren't there important things in /lib, namely libc?

would that be needed for running mkreiserfs, tar and perhaps a few other gnu
tools? because thats all that is needed really, just to make the reiser
partition and use tar to untar the system backup.

> I'm also not convinced that running /sbin and /bin binaries from a vfat
> partition is a good idea. I would instead make a few large files on the
> vfat partition, format them ext2, mount them via loopback and then copy
> /sbin and /bin to them. At least then you'll have proper permissions and
> symlinks etc will work.

well, to play it safe i've copied them both into /home so that i can safely
restore the / partition to its original and have all the basic file utils
available while i switch /home and /var to reiserfs also. once again, very
unefficient, but i want to keep things very simple :)

> > 4) with fdisk remove /dev/hda5 (current / partition) and recreate it.
> > mkreiserfs /dev/hda5
>
> It shouldn't be necessary to remove and recreate the partition with
> fdisk (unless you're planning to resize it, I guess). Just run
> mkreiserfs over it and see what happens

cheers,

William