Re: ReiserFS + 2.4.4

William Leese wrote:
> also, is it 'safe' to use hdparm when having reiserfs partitions?

If you used it with ext2 partitions, I don't see why using it with
reiserfs would be a problem. It's all disk access.

> I'll be doing the following:
>
> 1) backup each dir and its subdirs with tar (tar cf /usr, tar cf /lib etc..
> etc..) onto an unused vfat partition

Okay

> 2) rebooting the comp with a bootfloppy containing a kernel with reiserfs
> support compiled in.

Yep.

> 3) rm -rf /usr, /lib.. etc after mounting the vfat partition which also
> contains a copy of /sbin and /bin untarred.

Hmmm... aren't there important things in /lib, namely libc?

I'm also not convinced that running /sbin and /bin binaries from a vfat
partition is a good idea. I would instead make a few large files on the
vfat partition, format them ext2, mount them via loopback and then copy
/sbin and /bin to them. At least then you'll have proper permissions and
symlinks etc will work.

> 4) with fdisk remove /dev/hda5 (current / partition) and recreate it.
> mkreiserfs /dev/hda5

It shouldn't be necessary to remove and recreate the partition with
fdisk (unless you're planning to resize it, I guess). Just run
mkreiserfs over it and see what happens.

Matthew