Re: reiserfs installation

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 00:07:44 -0700
"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> The extremely consistent response I've had from experienced linux users,
> including kernel hackers (Rusty Russell, while in Canberra recently), is
> "you're a brave man", which is tempered when I say "2.2".
>
> Keep your backups current.

I too thought the 2.4.x issue was overstated, as I had been running with
reiser for a few weeks with no problems. Then one day my computer froze -
I rebooted, thinking how wonderful Reiserfs was that I was back up in
seconds. Then I opened Opera, and found I had no bookmarks. Looking in the
bookmark file I found fragments of all sorts of files - some email, news,
binary data etc.. Goodness knows what other files had been damaged.

Needless to say, I was somewhat chastened and immediately set about
reinstating ext2 on all my Linux partitions!

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Progeny Debian Linux