What extra packages do I need for patching the kernel?

Hi All,

I never needed to compile the kernel until now. I have to patch the
kernel, and I would like to know what libraries, packages, programs
I need to have on my machine (except the kernel source an headers)
in order to do this?

I run potato 2.2r3 stable, and at isnstall time I mostly skipped
development packages, but I do not want to just install loads of C
development packages which i do not need...

Is there a simple way to prepare myself for this event (in addition
to lots of coffeine)?

Thanks in advance. -- Viktor