Re: What extra packages do I need for patching the kernel?

Hello,

Viktor Lakics wrote:

> I never needed to compile the kernel until now. I have to patch the
> kernel, and I would like to know what libraries, packages, programs
> I need to have on my machine (except the kernel source an headers)
> in order to do this?

Well, patching the kernel is virtually trivial.

- unpack kernel sources to any directory (I usually do /usr/local/src)
- cd to that directory
- if the patch is gzipped do: zcat <patch-file> | patch -p0
- else do: patch -p0 < <patch-file>
- compile kernel as usual

If this sounds to vague, there's excellent help available in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

> I run potato 2.2r3 stable, and at isnstall time I mostly skipped
> development packages, but I do not want to just install loads of C
> development packages which i do not need...

As to the programms you need, I think `apt-get install kernel-package
bin86` should install all the necessary packages (minus the actual
kernel sources).  See /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README on how to use
kernel-package (skip to the part "For the Brave and impatient")

> Is there a simple way to prepare myself for this event (in addition
> to lots of coffeine)?

Good luck,
Viktor
--