Re: Newbie needs help

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001, Rahul Agarwal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Unix/Linux. I installed debian linux according to the
> installation instruction at debian.org. But my ethernet card(SMC EZ
> Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211 Series)) was not recognized. Also I dont
> have a gui installed. I found a driver name at linuxdoc.com for 1211
> series but dont know how to download it and install it. Can someone
> please refer to some document which can help me set up my hardware
> and gui. I dont know anything about linux/unix.
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Rahul

Rahul,

Karstens' suggestions should help you get set up with your debian
install.  Also, searching on google and looking at archives of this
list at lists.debian.org should fill in the missing pieces.

Since you say 'I dont know anything about linux/unix' I would also
recommend a very well-balanced Linux intro book by Michael Kofler,
entitled _Linux_.  It's on its second edition and is published by
Addison-Wesley.  bookpool.com should carry it, along with many other
retailers.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics