Re: Please help me switch to a non-GUI email client

on Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:47:28PM -0500, Brian Nelson (nelson@bignachos.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 12:37:04PM -0700, Steve Cooper wrote:
> > I'd like to switch from a GUI email client, currently Kmail to a
> > non-GUI one, either mutt or gnus.  I understand the advantages of
> > doing so, but apparently need some help getting started.
> >
> > I think I can deal with most of the configuration issues with patient
> > manual readings and config file clonings and dorkings.  Receiving is
> > no problem, since I currently run getmail to download mail to my
> > spool file, and Kmail reads from the spool file, not POP.
> >
> > The part I don't understand is the sending part.  Right now I just
> > tell Kmail that my sending protocol is SMTP and my server is
> > mail.foo.com, and it works.  With mutt, and probably gnus, do I have
> > to have a sendmail-type program configured somehow to do the SMTP for
> > me?  I've been trying to puzzle out exim, with little insight gained.
> >
> > A well-aimed kick in the right direction would be most appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve
>
> You're doing just fine.  You just need to set up exim to send mail
> through a smarthost (mail.foo.com).  You should be able to do this
> with the 'eximconf' or 'eximconfig' (I forget which) script.

Note that you can test this configuration under your present mailer
(KMail) by telling it to use your local delivery agent (exim) rather
than your ISP.  Once you get exim set up properly (and it's pretty
damned easy), you can roll out mutt and test it, then rock'n'roll.

I'll send a slightly modified version of my muttrc in a separate mail.