Please help me switch to a non-GUI email client

I'd like to switch from a GUI email client, currently Kmail to a
non-GUI one, either mutt or gnus.  I understand the advantages of
doing so, but apparently need some help getting started.

I think I can deal with most of the configuration issues with patient
manual readings and config file clonings and dorkings.  Receiving is
no problem, since I currently run getmail to download mail to my
spool file, and Kmail reads from the spool file, not POP.

The part I don't understand is the sending part.  Right now I just
tell Kmail that my sending protocol is SMTP and my server is
mail.foo.com, and it works.  With mutt, and probably gnus, do I have
to have a sendmail-type program configured somehow to do the SMTP for
me?  I've been trying to puzzle out exim, with little insight gained.

A well-aimed kick in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
  Steve Cooper                     Redmond, WA

  (For witty remark see attached microdot->.)