Printer Failure

Hello all,
I am new to the Linux world - I've only had a Linux box for about four months.  The box is a Deabian Woody distro running on an AMD K6-400, I use lpr to print and I have an HP 712C, which up until now ran fine.  Two weeks ago, I upgraded my kernel to v2.4.2 to take advantage of the AGP port feature, and at about the same time I did a apt-get upgrade.  Now my printer fails silently - no error messages, no printout.

I've tried lpr foo.text - if it's a large enough file, I can see it momentarily in the lpq, but it dissapears very quickly.

I've tried cat foo.txt > /dev/lp0, and I get a small pause as it does this, and then nothing.

tunelp /dev/lp0 -s reports status 216, on-line

tunelp /dev/lp0 -r reports lp0 online, using IRQ -1 (hmmm. . . dmesg tells me that parport0 is using IRQ 7, which is what it should be using.)

lpc> enable all shows that qeueing is enabled

I regenerated the magicfilterconfig file - no better (although I would think that catting to lp0 should bypass the filter, so this shouldn't have been the problem.)

I can't think of anything else to do - I've even tried rebooting and reconfiguring the kernel so that it's all compiled in instead of having all the lp and parport functions as modules.  Still nothing.

If anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it.  I can't find any documentation about kernel v.2.4.2 - is this a known bug?  I admit I haven't looked all that hard, as I'm between ISP's right now and I only have acces at work.

Thanks again.