Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences?

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 11:50:26PM +0200, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> The IBM SCSI disk I have here has a jumper to delay spin up depending on
> SCSI ID so that an array of those would spin up sequentially if they all
> had those jumper set (and different IDs, which they need anyway).

Sorry I missed the start of the thread. I would suggest you to buy a simple
IDE-to-SCSI Raid Appliance. You don't have the trouble with sizing the Power
supply. You get a neat chasis with plug-able disks and you also get the
speed of SCSI and the ability to plug it into every server you desire. The
prices are quite reasonable. I asume you need it at work, cause more than
4x36GB isnt realy needed for private persons, even if they have a large mp3
archive :)

BTW: I would suggest to use only Master-Disks on those IDE Channels, since
those are much faster. One IDE-to-SCSI Solutoin I saw had 8 IDE Channels for
8 Disks, so no slave needs to be used.

Greetings
Bernd
--