Re: Configuring gnus

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

I am able only to answer two of your questions.  You might want to try
posting your questions to the gnus newsgroup.  IIRC it's called
comp.emacs.gnus, but I'm not sure.

> 3. How do I handle aliases and distribution lists when I use
>    gnus as my default mail client?

See docs for Message Mode: `info message'.

I define my aliases in .mailrc, the file consists of lines like

alias carmen foo@lsdkfjasdklgjol.net

When composing a message I can use carmen as an abbreviation.  The
abbreviations are expanded the same way as usual emacs abbrevs.

You can define an alias for more than one address, too.

> 6. My request: I would appreciate examples of the .gnus-file. I could
>    not find any in the documentation.

Here is mine:

*****************
; -*- lisp -*-

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

(setq mail-sources
      '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/cwg")))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("mail.denis" "^From:.*Denis Kovacs")
	("mail.florin" "^From:.*Florin")
	("mail.klaus" "^From:.*[Dd]oth")
	("mail.igd" "^From:.*igd\\.fhg\\.de")
	("mail.myself" "^From:.*Christoph Groth")
	("mail.automatic" "From:.*Mail Delivery System\\|From:.*MAILER-DAEMON\\|From:.*Majordomo\\|From:.*Newsgroup Moderators\\|From:.*root-btu0x2\\|From:.*billing@ngi-net.de")
	("mail.crap" "^From:.*gmxred@gmx.net\\|^From:.*@amazon.de\\|^Subject: +Heise-Register-Updates\\|^To:.*gemischtes@igd.fhg.de")