Re: configuring network

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 05:12:51PM +0100, Saqib Shaikh wrote:
> hi,
>
> when i installed debian i got to the point where we must set up /etc/apt/sources.list.
> i selected ftp, but obviously it couldn't connect to the ftp server because my network wasn't set up.
> how does one set up and configure the network under debian; is there a netconfig analagous to pppconfig?

Edit the file /etc/network/interfaces
There is a manpage for the file but it should go something like -

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
# installation# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.10.7
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.10.0