Installation Problem

I am trying to install the current release of 2.2, and I get ext2fs panics at the Installing The Base System point.

Hardware Info:
Iwill KK266R motherboard (not using the RAID)
K7 Thunderbird 1.333GHz
Kingmax PC150 SDRAM, 512M
IBM 18G ATA/66 HD, I could dig up the part number if it seems important

I tried the udma66 boot/root images, taking the base2_2.tgz from another harddrive, and from a network download, and it hung when installing it.  I then turned off UDMA support on my motherboard, and used the "vanilla" boot/root images, took the base2_2.tgz from both another harddrive, and from a network download, and...  it still hung while installing it.

Any suggestions?  Other than moving the harddrive to another machine, installing it there, and putting it in my new machine, which I've already thought of.  I'd prefer to get things working on this machine.

Help?

Shane