Re: gimp version in unstable

"Michael K. O'Brien" <mobrien@pixar.com> wrote:
>For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why my gimp version was at
>1.0.4 while gimp 1.2 had been out for quite some time.  As it turns
>out, the package for gimp 1.2 is gimp1.2, which will not upgrade over
>1.0.4 unless explicitly installed.

gimp1.2 Conflicts: and Replaces: ordinary gimp, which is usually enough.
Are you upgrading with 'apt-get upgrade' rather than 'apt-get
dist-upgrade', perhaps?

>What's the policy for when a package is considered an upgrade versus
>appending the version number to the end of the package?

Usually when people might reasonably want the old version. For instance,
one of my packages is trn4: it's in beta and lots of people seem to
prefer the interface of trn 3.6, so I packaged it separately.