Re: no usbmgr for 2.4.x kernels?

glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com wrote:

> i updated my debian unstable laptop today to have the usbmgr package
> refuse to configure itself for a 2.4.x kernel.  isn't usbmgr the
> program that runs my nice little scripts to configure my usb devices
> when they are attached?  what should i do, since i'm running 2.4?

You want to look at hotplug.  It is in "testing" and "unstable".  If you are
running potato with Adrian Bunk's stuff to enable 2.4 kernel support then you
will want to compile it separately.

This is how you do that:
Change the /etc/apt/sources.list to include this line:
deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing  main contrib non-free
Then do the following:
apt-get update
apt-get install debhelper
apt-get source --build hotplug
dpkg -i hotplug_0.0.20010228-3_all.deb

You will also need usbutils from "testing" so do this too:
apt-get source --build usbutils

This will create a file called /sbin/hotplug which does the same stuff as
usbmgr did for the 2.2 kernels.

Alternatively if you are already running a "testing" / "Woody" system then
just do:
apt-get install hotplug

Cheers.

Mark.