Re: gdm (or X) broken on woody help ! urgent

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:

>        Hi all,
>        Yesterday I upgrade an intel box to the lastest release of
> woody. Suddenly gdm ceases to work. Launching
> /etc/init.d/gdm start
>
> nothing happens, except that the message
>
> Starting gdm appears
>
> Switching to the vt7, I see just a x cursor. Launching "ps aux" I see
> that gdm is inded running and the server X has also been start but its
> is marked as defunt !
>
> This is a very serious matter, gdm login is a must because an
> ordinary cannot work on the console. Not me, but now I am in great
> trouble because I break this machine. I shouldn't mess with it, but
> then I like to have the latest version gnome and if I wait for woody
> to release it would be one year !
>
> I finally throw away gdm and intall xdm. It works but only after about
> 1 minute of wait. At first, just like gdm; nothing happens, only an x
> cursor displayed (if yoiu switch to vt7)
>
> I could of course sent a bug report, but I am not sur it is really a
> bug of gdm or of X, because cdm seem to be affected too. But startx
> work fine. But the point is that I need a fix _right now_

I also had this problem when I upgraded to X4.
I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I changed
DisplayManager*authorize:  from true to false in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

If this doesn't work - poke around in the archives or look for other
authorization stuff in the xdm setup files.

cheers

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au