Re: Shutting down as a user

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:34:54AM +0200, Martin Würtele wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:16:06AM -0000, vdemart@supereva.it wrote:
> >
> > Using debian on a stand-alone laptop I usually work as an ordinary user and find somewhat awkward the fact that I have to su in order to shutdown the PC.
> > Is there a way to power my PC off as a user?
>
> if you use wdm as graphical login you can configure it to allow every
> console user to shut down.
>
> tha man page says something abaout /etc/shutdown.allow but i haven't got it
> to work by now.

shutdown.allow restricts ctrl-alt-del.  users listed in shutdown.allow
*MUST* be logged into the console (not X).  or else ctrl-alt-delete
will just produce a `no authorized users logged in' message.

it does not allow you to shutdown non-root.

for that use sudo.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/