gdm (or X) broken on woody help ! urgent

       Hi all,
       Yesterday I upgrade an intel box to the lastest release of
woody. Suddenly gdm ceases to work. Launching
/etc/init.d/gdm start

nothing happens, except that the message

Starting gdm appears

Switching to the vt7, I see just a x cursor. Launching "ps aux" I see
that gdm is inded running and the server X has also been start but its
is marked as defunt !

This is a very serious matter, gdm login is a must because an
ordinary cannot work on the console. Not me, but now I am in great
trouble because I break this machine. I shouldn't mess with it, but
then I like to have the latest version gnome and if I wait for woody
to release it would be one year !

I finally throw away gdm and intall xdm. It works but only after about
1 minute of wait. At first, just like gdm; nothing happens, only an x
cursor displayed (if yoiu switch to vt7)

I could of course sent a bug report, but I am not sur it is really a
bug of gdm or of X, because cdm seem to be affected too. But startx
work fine. But the point is that I need a fix _right now_

Can any body help me. Thanks

--
PHAM Dinh Tuan                         | e-mail: Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr
Laboratoire de Modelisation et Calcul  | Tel: +33 4 76 51 44 23