Steps to Sound

Hi everyone,

I'd like to set up sound on my debian system. It is one of those IBM 300GL
machines that come with (I think) an onboard sound card.
Funny though is that the KDE CD player kscd plays fine when I insert a music
CD into the drive.
I added sound in my /etc/modules file but this doesn't seem to work.

I've decided to try it from scratch. What are the things that I should first
know before attempting to set up the sound? Is there HOWTO or any
documentation (debain specific probably) of some sort that I have'nt got
to yet that might help me here?

What are the steps I must follow in order to get it all functional?

Thanx in advance.
--
Martin