gcc 3.0, namespace, and such

Hi all,
Here's my situation.  I'm developing a rather large project, and we're
starting to use stl stuff.  Unfortunately, one of our vendor libraries
uses a "vector", which then clashes with the stl vectors we're starting to
use.  Because of gcc 2.95.2 not supporting namespace correctly
(ie. putting all names into the global namespace) we have a
problem.  Now--I've gotten around this temporarily by downloading and
installing stlport from the stlport homepage.  I'd like to not have to do
this.  I've heard rumors that gcc 3.0 will handle namespaces and stl
correctly, and have thought about upgrading to 3.0.  I'm running testing
right now, and it looks like it has gcc 3.0 available.
So, my questions are:
Has anyone had experience with gcc 3.0 in testing?  and does it work well
for you?
Can you run gcc 3.0 alongside 2.95.2?
Is this a viable route to solving my problem?

Thanks

--
-bob

Remember the... the... uhh.....
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *