I have setup a few linux debian boxes in the past year, but I am by no means an expert.
Based upon my trials, tribulations,failures and ultimate successes, I recommend the following:
1. Soundblaster Live sound card
2. NVidia Geforce 2 MX 32 meg video card. ( Inexpensive but it does a great job on 2D and 3D with the nvidia drivers.
3. Hauppauge WinTV card, if you're so-inclined.
4. IBM Deskstar Hard Drives. Great speed and quiet.
5. Iomega internal zip drives, again if you're so inclined.
6. 3Com internal modems. ( I have installed 2 with no problems. One was a PCI, the other an ISA. )
7. Plextor CD-RW.
Hope this helps.