Re: perfect debian computer

> Lend27 wrote:
>
> I have setup a few linux debian boxes in the past year, but I am by no means
> an expert.
> Based  upon my trials, tribulations,failures and ultimate successes, I
> recommend the following:
>
> 1. Soundblaster Live sound card
> 2. NVidia Geforce 2 MX 32 meg video card. ( Inexpensive but it does a great
> job on 2D and 3D with the nvidia drivers.
> 3. Hauppauge WinTV card, if you're so-inclined.
> 4. IBM Deskstar Hard Drives. Great speed and quiet.
> 5. Iomega internal zip drives, again if you're so inclined.
> 6. 3Com internal modems. ( I have installed 2 with no problems. One was a
> PCI, the other an ISA. )
> 7. Plextor CD-RW.

my choices are:

- sound blaster PCI 128 (can't beat it for ease of use)
- matrox G400 if you don't need 3D, or Voodoo3(any version) if you want 3D
- hauppauge wintv (bt878 or something similar)
- ibm drives(any kind they all rule)
- as for modem, any modem you gotta be careful, even recent 3com pci
modems can be a real bitch to get working in linux. i can't honestly
reccomend any internal modem these days. most of that is because of
the ones ive used in the past 2 years none of them cut it. external
is the way to go. the modem i have is a zoomtel 56k. works great, it
has jumpers and i have it hardcoded in such a configuration that i
can use all 3 com ports on my system without a conflict(no easy
task ..) very unlikely that my modem is still on the market.
- nic - 3com 3c905b or 905c, older intel eepro cards, realtek8139
(while its a piece of shit overall it works well in linux)
- plextor cdrom works great
- scsi card - adaptec anything 2940 and up
- raid - mylex dac960
- cdrom - sony, toshiba or something similar(i wouldn't personally
pay money for an asus or aopen cdrom)

and of course, debian 2.2r3, linux 2.2.19 and xfree86 3.3.6

i have 3-4 desktops with variations on the above hardware, and i
never have a crash, never have to reboot. its great. no headaches.

now back to playing with my new tivo .......

nate
--
:::
ICQ: 75132336