Re: Using dhcp on a home cable connection

Brendan O'Connor wrote:

> I have my ethernet card detected and working (using tulip.o, and etherconf from Progeny), connected to a cable modem, but the internet isn't working at all.

<SNIP>

> # The ethernet interface, configured by etherconf
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>         hostname progeny

Most providers wil request a specific hostname in theabove line.progeny
for sure
will not work,so you either comment out that line or replace progeny
with the proper hostname given to you by your ISP.
I use dhcpc and I have in /etc/dhcpc/config a line

OPTIONS='-h "cr123456"'

In /etc/network interfaces for eth0 all I have is

iface eth0 inet dhcp

I guess it's a bit different for dhcpc but this is the idea.