Re: HOWTO? Fix a term that has "space junk"

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Mark Hurley wrote:
> I'd like to think I resort to man's, HOWTO's etc. before posting.
> BUT.....this one has been bugging me for a while now.
>
> When I run...
>
> 	cat *somebinaryfile*
>
> My term displays irregular ansi characters.  (I've called space junk)
> I realize the correct information is being displayed, just sort of
> encrypted.  ;)
>
> Without exiting the term how do you fix this?

several methods:

1) enter

	reset

which you won't be able to read, since your font table is borked.
meaning, you have to type it blindly, on faith. it'll look like
swahili or russian or korean, but it'll work if yuo don't make
any typo's.

2) echo a control-o (letter Oh):

	echo '^V^O'

you'll need to prefix that with a control-V or the terminal
read-char program will think you're sending it a buffer-flush (i
think) command.

there may be others, but this is my favorite--

3) build control-o into your command prompt, so this is handled
automatically:

	export PS1='^V^O\u@\h: \w'

that is, if you put this in your ~/.bashrc you'll see this in the
editor:

	export PS1='^O\u@\h: \w'

so the ^V isn't really supposed to be part of the string -- the
^V merely allows you to add the ^O to your input.
--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP:
Looking to automate a command -- to run it at regular intervals?

...from will@serensoft.com