From: Brendan O'Connor [mailto:brendan642@angelfire.com]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 9:21 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: brendan642@angelfire.com
Subject: Using dhcp on a home cable connection

I have my ethernet card detected and working (using tulip.o, and etherconf
from Progeny), connected to a cable modem, but the internet isn't working at
all.

When I run pump, I get a looooong pause, and "Operation failed." with no
further explanation.  So I removed pump and installed dhcp-client.  (Using
the Progeny 1.0 versions, only slightly more updated than potato, I
believe.)  The dhcp-client script at both startup and run later from
/etc/init.d/dhcp-client produces no output and seems to do nothing.

I have very little in /etc/network/interfaces, but isn't the dhcp protocol
supposed to retrieve stuff like nameservers and gateways in addition to your
IP address?  In that case, what stuff needs to be in /etc/dhclient.conf,
versus the "traditional" config files (resolv.conf, interfaces)?

Any help would be very appreciated.  Thanks!!!

--
Here's my config stuff:
progeny:/etc# netstat -i

progeny:/etc# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.5.5.213     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0
eth0

progeny:/etc# cat network/interfaces
### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

auto lo eth0

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The ethernet interface, configured by etherconf
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hostname progeny

### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.
### pppconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
### END OF DEBCONF AREA.  PLACE YOUR EDITS BELOW; THEY WILL BE PRESERVED.

--- Brendan

Check out the FREE cell phone packages complete with accessories at Lycos
Wireless Marketplace
http://www.inphonic.lycos.com/redirect.asp?referringpage=www.lycosad129