Re: upgrading with dselect

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:12:12AM +0200, Hans wrote:
> I think you shouldn't mix apt-get with dselect, but I'd like to hear some
> comments on this. Or maybe use deselect to make choices and use upt-get
> dselect-upgrade, but I haven't tried if this works.

Erm ... dselect and apt-get are both front-ends to dpkg.  dselect
changes a package's desired status (which you can also do by saying
"echo <pkg> [install|deinstall|hold|...] | dpkg --set-selections" );
"apt-get dselect-upgrade" tries to make your system match the state
described by "dpkg --get-selections".  You can choose whatever
packages you want with either, if you're careful, and you always have
the option to "dpkg --install file.deb".

Rob

--
I've known him as a man, as an adolescent and as a child -- sometimes
on the same day.