Re: upgrading with dselect

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 10:12:12AM +0200, Hans wrote:
> I am also experimenting with upgrading potato to testing now that I have
> some more bandwith available. I screwed up big time by doing apt-get update
> && apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. I
> tried to remedy by using dselect, but that only caused more conflicts and
> essential package removal like bsdutils.

When I got into trouble upgrading , I installed some key files (libc and
some perl things) manually using "dpkg -i" using cached packages in
"/var/cache/apt/archives".  No bandwidth issue arises by using these
*.deb.

Also, "R" and "D" are your friend in dselect under dependancy issues.
It took me while before I found these useful command in dselect.  Not
all packages has sane dependancy (I have seen one package made
incompatible with libc above certain version.  That was annoying because
that dependancy was there even after libc issue has been solved.)

My below web page has some info on my experience of recovery.

Osamu
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +