Re: <rant> grub <\rant>

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Joost van der Lugt wrote:

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> > > This site did not work for me "Directory browsing failed - access forbidden"
> > >
> > Do a search for "grub" under the Linux section on developerWorks.
> > It's a tutorial that you'll have to register for.
> >

> This is all fine, and this is all in the "we are intelligent, we can
> figure it out" spirit.
> But basic installation of software should _not_ be hard to figure out,
> there are probably plenty more programs this applies to, and my guess is
> grub will be fixed, if not by the programmers of it, then by the
> distributions that will distribute it, by means of the install scripts
> and/or configuration scripts.

Well, this may be true - but the discussion list exists to help
people deal with Debian GNU/Linux AS IT IS, not as you WISH it was.
Griping about it DOES NOT HELP. Unless you have a useful suggestion,
why not keep it to yourself? "Better documentation, easier to use"
is NOT a suggestion - and it's certainly not a new idea.

Since I could find no reason why you felt the need to switch from LILO
to Grub, was LILO not working for you? If LILO worked, why switch?

> If I am not running Irix, MacOS (or other weird stuff) and Linux on one
> box it just should not be any trouble to configure.

I want to see the box that runs both IRIX and MacOS... :)

> I am probably singing a different tune than is commonly sung in the
> linux community, but I do think it is about time for that tune:)
>
> Enough:-)

Yes, it certainly is.

Take care,

Zonker