Howto compile package compatible with apt-get

I would like to run AIDE, but it is only available in Woody or Sid and
not Potato which I am running.  I know Tripwire is available in Potato
but I would prefer to use the "free" option of AIDE.

My question is:  How would I go about compiling AIDE from source and
make it into a .deb package with a revision number less that that in
Woody?   So that when Woody becomes stable and I do a dist-upgrade, it
will be taken care of and replaced by the Woody version?

I want it to leave nothing remaining on my computer (apart from the
tarball and extracted directory I used to make it) after upgrading to
Woody.

Can someone outline the steps involved?

Thanks

Mark.