Re: Howto compile package compatible with apt-get

On Sunday 22 April 2001 08:21, Mark wrote:
> I would like to run AIDE, but it is only available in Woody or Sid
> and not Potato which I am running.  I know Tripwire is available in
> Potato but I would prefer to use the "free" option of AIDE.
>
> My question is:  How would I go about compiling AIDE from source
> and make it into a .deb package with a revision number less that
> that in Woody?   So that when Woody becomes stable and I do a
> dist-upgrade, it will be taken care of and replaced by the Woody
> version?
>
> I want it to leave nothing remaining on my computer (apart from the
> tarball and extracted directory I used to make it) after upgrading
> to Woody.
>
> Can someone outline the steps involved?

If you're lucky

fakeroot
apt-get source -b aide

I don't think you need to fiddle with the versions number or whatnot.
If woody ever became stable, the package would probably be either
obsoleted or revised.

Also, apt-get appears to prefer packages which are installed thru you
apt sources.list over packages installed thru plain dpkg, version
numbers being equal.

If you're unlucky, your best bet is to go testing, which really isn't
that much unstable.