Re: Linux Books

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 12:34:14PM -0500, George M. Butler wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| Thanks for the great suggestions for Linux literature .  I  printed the
| order:

[some nice-sounding stuff on Linux/Unix internals]
| The Mythical Man-Month,  Brooks

I have heard that this is a good book.  I have also heard that

Refactoring , Martin Fowler
The Art Of Programming , Kernighan & Pike
Code Complete

are also good titles to get (if you still have some money available
;-)).  I would like to get at least the first 2 of these sometime.  (I
don't know why I didn't think to mention them before ... brain fart)

I have Design Patterns by the Gang Of Four.  It is a must for anyone
who wants to do serious software design.  BTW several of the patterns
and their usefulness and how to spell them in python has come up
several times on c.l.py.

| The C Programming Language Kernighan & Ritchie
| Programming Perl, Wall
| HTML: The Complete Reference, Powell.
|
| Again  as part of the procedure I used the "Self" loop to cull titles
| that have  "Idiots,"  "Dummies," or
| "Unleashed" as part of them.

I don't know if the "Unleashed" are so bad, I have 2 of them that I
found to be quite helpful (RH5.2 -- ok, so I don't use it anymore but
it was my doorway to Linux;  and Linux Programming).  OTOH I have
"Java in 24 hours" (anyone want it?  shipping will be high due to its
weight).  It is good for non-programmers who want to learn what Java
is about.  It is not good for a serious programmer, nor does it
provide a library reference.  IMO the "Nutshell" book is much better.

-D