Re: Problem installing Potato

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001, alan_273@ivillage.co.uk wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian Potato 2.2r2 on a new system.
> All goes fine until it gets to installing the base system.
> Then I get:
> "File error!
>  There was a problem extracting the Base System from /instmnt/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/base2_2.tgz"
> At the same time, on console3 (Alt-F3):
> repeated error of
> "<4>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>  <4>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30"
> followed by
> "<4>hdc: ATAPI reset complete"
> ending with
> "<4>end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 1013544
>  <4>end_request: buffer-list destroyed
>  <4>hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompl"
> It's a 1GHz Athlon on an Abit KT7A
> The hard disk is a 20GB set as master on the first IDE channel
> The CD/DVDROM is an Acer DVP1640A set as master on the second IDE channel.
> I can mount the CD-ROM on Alt-F2.
> And, I can install my old RedHat6.0 OK, but of course I want all the new stuff on the Debian dist.
> Perhaps I can overwrite RedHat with Debian...?
> I'd rather do a Debian install from scratch.
> Has anyone any ideas?

First idea, I'd check to make sure that the disk was burned (or
mastered ?) correctly against the master md5sum list present in the
top-level directory of the cd-rom. See 'man md5sum'; the flag you want
is '-c'.  If that checks, then other causes can be considered.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics
Department of Physics
Cornell University